Ward: Royton South
Other councillors representing this Ward:
If you have any queries or problems that need to be discussed with your Labour Councillors, please contact:
Councillor S Bashforth
Tel: 01706 290 313
53 Penthorpe Drive
Phone: 01706 290313
Download Steven Bashforth contact details as VCard
Cllr Steven Bashforth – Royton South Ward
· Protecting our green spaces
· A safe and clean community
· Excellent and accessible leisure services
· Thriving businesses
Work in thecommunity
I have pledged my full and active opposition to any detrimental development in Royton and will continue to use my experience to oppose anything which is against the interests of Royton’s people. At the same time, I will never hesitate to use my considerable experience to the benefit of Royton and its people.
I am a grass roots councillor who has a long record of helping many individual Royton people; and have always been involved Royton’s excellent community groups. I am very proud to be a founder member and the first Chair of the Royton Royal British Legion branch and to be the President of the Royton Veterans Bowling Club. I have been involved with bringing a number of interesting and well attended car shows to Heyside and with the help of a local Roytoner, instigated the former Royton Real Food Market.
Amongst the many groups I have supported are local sporting clubs, Scouts, Brownies, Royton Local History Society the Heyside Neighbourhood Council and I am fully involved in the Royton Christmas and summer events.
Amongst the many ward issues dealt with on a regular basis are: -
· Anti-social behaviour.
· Dog fouling.
· Alleyway clean ups.
· Dealing with utility Companies.
· Council tax problems and queries.
· Issues relating to ground rent.
· Noise from clubs and pubs.
· Abandoned vehicles.
· Speeding problems.
· Fly tipping.
· Vandalism in our parks.
· Underage drinking.
· Planning and licensing issues.
· Parking problems.
· Street lighting.
· Home adaptations for disabilities.
· School placements.
· Bus routes and fares.
Currently my official council appointments are:-
· Chair of the MioCare Group.
· Lead for Royton, Shaw and Crompton.
· Chair of the Oldham Armed Forces Partnership.
Over the years I have served Royton and the Council on: -
• Oldham Planning Committee, both as a member and many years as Chair.
• Traffic Regulations Order Panel, again both as a member and as Chair.
• Oldham Licencing Committee.
• Commons Registration Committee.
• Oldham Distress Fund Trustee.
• Royton Sick and Needy Trustee.
• Appeals Committee.
• Greater Manchester Geological Unit.
• Oldham Children’s Holiday Home Management Committee.
• Parking Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee.
• Oldham Credit Union.
• Greater Manchester Geological Unit.
• Greater Manchester Police Authority
• Deputy Cabinet Member with responsibility for Oldham’s link to the Crime and Police Commissioner.
I have always had an excellent attendance record at official council meetings, ward surgeries and meeting with local people.
The emergence of the Covid 19 pandemic was like nothing we have had to deal with before which has and still is dominating everything we do. Oldham Council and all councillors including myself have been at the frontline in responding to the pandemic; including distributing emergency food and medicine, providing vital social care, running testing centres and now rolling out the virus.
In Royton I have had to scale back and completely stop face to face interaction, but the amount of casework has remained constant and I, like everyone else, have had to adapt and make sure I am available more than ever by e-mail or telephone.
I have kept in touch with local community groups as much as possible and am looking forward to being able to personally meet with the people of Royton again soon.
T: 01706 290 313