I live in Coppice with my family and have lived in Oldham since my childhood so it was a great honour when I became the Mayor of Oldham in 2008/09.
I was elected onto Oldham Council in 2000 and I’ve served on various committees and held different cabinet portfolio’s.
I was the Deputy Leader of the council from 2011 – 2014 with the responsibility for Oldham town centre. I was previously the Cabinet Member for Employment and Skills.
I am also a governor at Oldham Sixth form College and Werneth Primary school and I chair the Enterprise Trust.
I currently work for Onward Homes.
Over the 19 years that I’ve represented Werneth, some neighbourhoods have changed significantly in particularly in housing terms. Some of the major projects that I have been involved with include;
· New homes developed across the ward in Freehold, Coppice and Primrose Bank;
· A new community centre in Primrose Bank;
· Alleygating across the ward;
· A new integrated health centre – Werneth Medical centre;
· Floodlit multigames areas in Coppice (Tudor St( and Freehold (Milne St);
· Improvements to Werneth Park play area.
I am passionate about community development work and always striving to improve my town and ward - trying new ways of working in cooperation with residents. I’m also the vice chair of Tudor Community Sports group and am currently developing a new local scheme called ‘Love Your Street’ as part of the borough wide ‘Love where you live’ initiative.
If you have any queries or problems that need to be discussed with your Labour Councillor please contact Councillor Shoab Akhtar on telephone number 07973 101 633 or via email at Shoab.email@example.com
94 Wellington Road
Phone: 0161 287 2005
Bus. phone: 0161 770 5478
Bus. mobile: 07973 101 633
Cllr Shoab Akhtar – Werneth Ward
MY WARD PRIORITIES
Work in thecommunity
· Hartford Mill demolition has been completed
· Various roads across the ward have been resurface such as, Frederick St and Werneth Hall Rd (partially)
· Working with ASRA to address issues around phase 1 & 2 of Suthers St development
· Working with Oak Chase Mill residents to address the issues around the open space and ASB
· Working with residents to address parking issues on Primrose Bank
· Werneth Cricket club – provided supporting letter for a funding bid
· Keepmoat have started the second phase in Primrose Bank and Suthers St
· Arranged for various alleyway clearances
· Covid door knocking
· Funding the following projects through the cllrs budget;
Ø WFCDP – Toy Library
Ø St Thomas School – Forest area
Ø Grit Bins - Newport St, St Thomas Circle
Ø Kashmir Cricket Club
Ø GlodwickDynamoes FC (£3960 requested)
Ø Indian Association
Ø WFCDP - Electrcity charges for pitch lights
Ø CAB Neighbourhood advice - over the phone
Participation on outside bodies and partnerships
Details of participation in groups and bodies attended as a representative of the Council;
• Chair of Health Scrutiny Committee
• Board member of Sixth Form College
• Director of Oldham Enterprise Trust
• Planning Committee
• Oldham West District Partnership
• Primrose Community Centre
The Council has been at the frontline in responding to the Covid19 pandemic; including distributing emergency food and medicine, providing vital social care, running testing centres and now rolling out the vaccinations.
Throughout 2020 it also had a huge impact on the way that the Council and Councillors worked.
Instead of attending meetings on your behalf at Oldham Civic Centre, all meetings have been held virtually, accessed via phone or laptop. I have undertaken training on using this technology so that I could continue to represent you throughout this difficult time.
In my ward I have had to scale back the amount of work I can do in the community due to not being able to get out and about, but I have still been available by e-mail or telephone for people to contact me if they have problems they would like my assistance with.
I have kept in touch with local community groups as much as possible, particularly on social media, and I look forward to becoming more active in the area again when restrictions are finally lifted.
T: 0161 287 2005
M: 07973 101633
Face to face Ward Surgeries are cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions. Please contact me by phone or email for any issues or problems.