Ward: Failsworth West
Other councillors representing this Ward:
I was elected as a Councillor for Failsworth West in 2012, where I lived with my parents. In 2016 my girlfriend and I bought our first house together in Failsworth where we still live.
During my time on Oldham Council so far I have been heavily involved in the 'Fairness Campaigns'. I successfully lobbied First Bus to slash their fares for residents by 30 per cent, for example, and also worked hard to help sign local people up to the collective energy buying scheme that collectively saved Oldhamers thousands of pounds on their energy bills.
I spent a year as Chair of the Failsworth and Hollinwood District Executive during 2013-14 before being appointed as a Deputy Cabinet Member for Employment and Skills in 2014.
In 2018 I was elected Leader of the Labour Group on the Council and was therefore elected Leader of the Council.
I am active in my ward holding two static surgeries each month and dozens of street surgeries.
I founded the “Big Failsworth Clean Up” which sees volunteers come together and litter pick local streets. I also volunteer with the canal clean up and on the gates at the annual Failsworth Carnival.
Outside of the council I play the piano to Grade 6 standard and dep as a cornet player in various brass bands when I have the time.
My priorities for Failsworth are to be an accessible ward councillor who is readily available to give advice and support when required by my constituents. The issues that I know are important to local residents on which I want to campaign are; the quality of private rented housing, crime and anti-social behaviour, improvements to public transport and the standard of education.
I have also already been involved with the formation of a number of residents and home watch groups who take responsibility for the cleanliness and community safety in their area. I would like to see many more of these formed.
Finally, I would like to see the re-design of Failsworth District Centre to make it much safer and incorporate more independent local businesses to provide greater choice for residents.
If you have any queries or problems that need to be discussed with your Labour Councillor, please contact Councillor Fielding on telephone number 07912 774980 or email him at email@example.com
Mobile: 07912 774 980
Cllr Sean Fielding – Failsworth West Ward
MY WARD PRIORITIES
Reduce crime and
• Support local community groups
• Improve road safety
• Tackle fly tipping and littering
Work in thecommunity
• Sponsored a “Local Improvement Fund” bid for the refurbishment of Failsworth Cenotaph.
• Secured funding from the “Local Improvement Fund” for traffic calming on Alder Road.
• Met with Failsworth Group Practice Doctors surgery to improve appointment booking.
• Secured funding for the resurfacing of Samuel Street, Springfield Close and Princess Street.
• Part funded the provision of Citizens Advice Bureau services for Failsworth.
• Negotiated the protection of green belt sites in Failsworth and Woodhouses with Andy Burnham.
• Saved the Failsworth-Ashton bus which was threatened with withdrawal.
• Agreed the closure of Crime Lane to tackle fly tipping.
• Organised a drop in event with Virgin Media who were undertaking utility works in the area.
• Campaigned for gating schemes to prevent access to property commonly fly tipped.
• Volunteered at Oldham food bank during the pandemic and delivered food parcels.
• Volunteered as a marshal at the Failsworth vaccination centre.
• Arranged for the service and repair of the Failsworth Pole clocktower.
• Represented Oldham on TV and radio during negotiations over funding for covid restrictions.
• Governor at a local primary school.
• Active Member of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee.
• Member of the Local Government Association City Regions board.
• Spoken at a range of conferences representing Oldham and Greater Manchester.
T: 0161 312 2507
M: 07912 774 980
Face to face Ward Surgeries are cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions. Please contact me by phone or email for any issues or problems.