I have more than 25 years’ experience of working in the voluntary sector as a Magistrate, School Governor, College Governor, and Chair of NHS Oldham.
Until recently I was Chairman of Oldham NHS Primary Care Trust for the previous decade, leading it to become the Best Health Trust in the country with the major development of new centres across Oldham providing good care to residents as well as recruiting additional GPs and Nurses.
I am a former Mayor of Oldham and have vast experience of working with all communities. I have also previously served as a Councillor and been Cabinet Member for Finance and the Environment as well as serving on important committees like Housing, Planning, Economic Development.
I am Chair of Governors at Greenhill School, which has been transformed from a failing school to being one of the top ten schools in the country.
I am also a Governor at Waterhead Academy and played a leading role in bringing Breeze Hill School and Counthill School together and improving standards. Currently I am also a Governor at Oldham College and have served as a governor at several other local schools.
As a Magistrate I now have more than a quarter of a century of experience in law and order issues.
I am also an accountant and run my own practice in Manchester. I am married with four grown up children and two grandchildren.
In 2008, I was honoured to be awarded the OBE (Order of British Empire) for my services to the community.
Saturday 5 March 2022
10.00am – 11.00am
Councillors R Ahmad, R Birch and P Dean (Labour)
St. Barnabus Church
Oldham, OL4 1NL
If you have any queries or problems that need to be discussed with your Labour Councillor please contact Councillor Riaz Ahmad on telephone number 07956 345 329 or via email at Riaz.email@example.com
c/o Civic and Political
Level 3 Civic Centre
Cllr Riaz Ahmad – Waterhead Ward
· Ward priorities are aligned with the Council priorities which are to make the ward clean, green, and safe place for the residents.
· With COVID 19 continuing to impact communities, we have worked hard with the Council to ensure that the residents have access to good health and food provision, children’s education is maintained, and the Council services respond quickly to the changed circumstances.
WORK IN THECOMMUNITY
I have been busy with the casework and my work is supported by the other councilors and the excellent District team who deal with the cases on almost immediate basis. Dealing with the casework is the most satisfying part of being a Councillor.
I and other ward councilors are continually working on clean ups in the areas where it is required, road safety and future planning.
Our councilor’s budget has been spent on supporting the following services
- Citizens Advice bureau
- Environmental schemes
- Grit bins
- Footpaths and bridleways
- Food parcels for the needy
- Local clean ups
I chair the Performance, Overview and Scrutiny Committee which monitors council’s finances, human resources, and performances. It plays a huge part in ensuring that any expenditure provides value for money, capital projects are fully justified and affordable, staff performance and attendance is of good high standard and council is meeting its targets and public expectation. It regularly calls Chief Officers and Cabinet Members to answer any areas of poor performance.
I am also a leading member of the Audit Committee which provides a system of control over Council finances, income and expenditure, capital, and revenue. It ensures that the finances are fully safeguarded and expended in a justifiable and transparent manner.
MAJOR AIMS FOR THE NEXT 12 YEARS
· To keep the ward clean, combat fly tipping and empower community to take ownership of their environment
· To support the residents from the COVID 19 impact and help with the recovery process.
· To provide means of health improvement and improve public health.
· To improve the education, offer in the Ward
· To ensure that all public services work together for the benefit of the residents i.e., Police, Council, NHS, Housing, and voluntary sector
Face to face Ward Surgeries are back, are held in different parts of the ward regularly and are advertised regularly. I can also be contacted by phone or email for any issues or problems.