I live in Coppice with my family and have lived in Oldham since my childhood so it was a great honour when I became the Mayor of Oldham in 2008/09.
I was elected onto Oldham Council in 2000 and I’ve served on various committees and held different cabinet portfolio’s.
I was the Deputy Leader of the council from 2011 – 2014 with the responsibility for Oldham town centre. I am currently the Cabinet Member for Employment and Skills.
I am also a governor at Oldham Sixth form College and Werneth Primary school and I chair the Enterprise Trust.
I am employed by Great places Housing Group.
Over the 14 years that I’ve represented Werneth, some neighbourhoods have changed significantly in particularly in housing terms. Some of the major projects that I have been involved with include;
· New homes developed across the ward in Freehold, Coppice and Primrose Bank;
· A new community centre in Primrose Bank;
· Alleygating across the ward;
· A new integrated health centre – Werneth Medical centre;
· Floodlit multigames areas in Coppice (Tudor St( and Freehold (Milne St);
· Improvements to Werneth Park play area.
I am passionate about community development work and always striving to improve my town and ward - trying new ways of working in cooperation with residents. I’m also the vice chair of Tudor Community Sports group and am currently developing a new local scheme called ‘Love Your Street’ as part of the borough wide ‘Love where you live’ initiative.
If you have any queries or problems that need to be discussed with your Labour Councillor, please contact Councillor Akhtar on telephone number 0161 287 2005 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
94 Wellington Road
Phone: 0161 287 2005
Mobile: 07973 101633
- Cabinet Sub Committee (BPT)
- Cabinet Sub-Committee (FTC)
- Clayton Playing Fields
- West Oldham District Executive
Appointments to outside bodies
- Hollies Trust
- Oldham Economic Development Association Board
- Oldham Enterprise Trust
- University of Manchester General Assembly